Sunday, December 28, 2008

Elmer Diktonius: Maskinsång


Machine Song

(Orlodoffa doschkoff
orlodoffa doschkoff:)
it is the machine --
me.

Bars and wheels
and
nitnaglar screws and nuts
conveyor belting (doschkoff) --
many men have made me
slag and polishing and hammering and file
fine, I am fine (orlo)
shiny
singing
resounding
shocking
floors and ceilings.
(No smoking!
Spit is not on the floor!
Untidy reserved!
Drink not from the carafe!
Access is denied!
W.C. Office.)
Did you see the man who came yesterday? --
he krälar today on crutches,
and the girl who hum today
becomes tomorrow rännstensavfall,
and the child as the indulgences
are they and are they --
orlodoffa doschkoff --
my food.

(Orlodoffa doschkoff
orlo - orlo - orlo:)
Oil and oil
(ha - so I laugh!)
human sweat and oil
and blood
(he - so I ryter!)
The muscles LANGUISH.
(hi - so I grins!)
the skin stained yellow.
The neck is bent
(ha - so I sigh!)
fired at the end
(ho - so I rushing!)
re ready
(away)

The poem in Swedish


1 comment:

  1. nitnaglar - nails
    krälar - crawls
    rännstensavfall - gutter waste
    ryter - roars

    ReplyDelete